Grace Bernal ’21 Reflects on Ignatian Heritage Week

MISSION AND MINISTRY | This week, the LMU community celebrates its part, present, and future in Ignatian Heritage Week. We reflect together on our Ignatian identity and the:

In response to this week’s theme, Grace Bernal ’21 reflects on what Ignatian heritage means to her.  

“Growing up with parents who are both Jesuit educated, the Ignatian heritage has always been a part of my life and Catholic identity. I was drawn to LMU because I knew that I would not only grow as a student, but most importantly as a person during my four years on the bluff. During my time at LMU, I have seen how the university truly lives out its Mission. In all aspects of life at LMU, one can see encouragement of learning, education of the whole person, and the service of faith and promotion of justice. The part of the mission statement that has especially resonated with me while at LMU is the education of the whole person.

In the classroom, I have been encouraged to be a global citizen. The LMU curriculum has allowed me to think outside of myself and with those on the margins. I have had the opportunity to take courses focusing on topics such as restorative justice. In my literature, law and restorative justice course, I was able to learn about restorative justice and meet formerly incarcerated guest speakers. This class allowed me to grow in my English skills and think critically about complex issues. I was given a new outlook on the criminal justice system and alternatives to traditional incarceration which treat people with mercy and compassion. This course encouraged me to look for ways to use my education and skills for others in my future.

While I have learned and grown in the classroom at LMU, much of my education has been outside of a traditional classroom setting. Students are encouraged to grow as a whole person during their time at LMU. I can see this in all aspects of campus life. I have been able to explore my faith and grow spiritually through Campus Ministry. Leading First-Year Retreat allowed me to grow in my own faith while also making meaningful relationships with other students. The short weekend we spend together educates me just as fully as being in the classroom. While it’s not a “traditional” form of education, we are encouraged to develop and reflect.

When I moved into my dorm my first year, I could have never imagined the ways Loyola Marymount has truly impacted my life in such a short amount of time. Though this past year has been unusual, LMU still encourages me to grow as a whole person in the Ignatian heritage. When I graduate this spring, I am not simply leaving with a diploma. I am leaving with a better understanding of how I can use my education for others. I am incredibly proud to be a part of the Ignatian heritage. I know what I have learned and how I have grown at LMU will always be a part of me.”

-Grace Bernal ’21 (English and Political Science)

Interested in learning more about Ignatian Heritage Week and what our Ignatian mission means for you? Click here to learn more, to view the calendar of events, and to register for programs, or contact the Office of Mission and Ministry at mission@lmu.edu.

logo-instagram