A Message from the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs

Dear Students,

As the Chief Student Affairs Officer for LMU, I think it is important to address the entire student community at this time. At this moment we find ourselves in unparalleled times; we are amid a crippling medical pandemic and a corrosive social pandemic. My personal and professional sentiments about each are visceral, provoking a call for healing and action. I write to you in the spirit of openness, humility and mutuality in the hope of achieving social and structural change.

Since March, COVID-19 has created an extraordinarily difficult environment for everyone. To say the obvious, each of you, your families and your friends have been challenged in unprecedented and unfamiliar ways, creating insecurity and uncertainty. Added to this challenging moment, we witnessed, once again, the horror of the killing of an innocent African American. George Floyd, like many before him, was the victim of an unjust system that has perpetuated systemic racism in America for the past 400 years. While I struggle to find adequate words to express my empathy and disgust, please know that each of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

To our Black students, who have borne the oppression of systemic racism, I am deeply sorry for your scars and pain. I hear you and I see you. While I have never lived your experience, I want you to know that I am in solidarity with you and am an accomplice in the work of eradicating systemic racism in our country, our community and at LMU.

The one clear thought of light I do have during this dark moment in our history is that the time is now to right the many wrongs of the past and create new pathways for the future. To all our students, I ask you to stand together and acknowledge that you have an opportunity at this particular moment in time to change the paradigm of injustice. Together, you have the opportunity to create a better LMU, a better community, a better America. You have the opportunity to create the world you want to live in. This is your time.

I know many of you are hurting and are struggling with a variety of swirling emotions, each of you are processing your thoughts and emotions in a variety of ways. Please note the University has numerous services available to help you with your self-care this summer. We invite you to reach out and to take advantage of the many resources

In closing, I encourage you to take notice of President Obama’s comments last week. He said that what gave him hope in this time of trial and despair was our young people. “So much of the progress that we’ve made in our society has been because of young people.” I couldn’t agree more. This is your time. Be part of the movement forward.

I and the entire Student Affairs Division are here to support you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Take care of yourself, your families and each other. See you in August.

God Bless,

Lane Bove
Senior Vice President for Student Affairs

logo-instagram